A washing machine is an important appliance in a house. It helps you to wash your clothes with ease. But sometimes, due to continuous usage, problems happen and your washing machine stops working.
In today’s blog, we will be looking at the nine common washing machine problems and their solutions to help you out in the best way possible. Let’s get started:
1-Washer Not Turning On
Washing machine not turning on? It can be due to many reasons:
Lid Switch: The washing machine is designed to stop when the lid is open. The lid switch is a small plastic piece that is located under the lid. To activate the switch, the lid should be closed. You need to check if the switch is fine and in a proper position.
Timer Knob: In some models, the timer knob should be line-up exactly with the control panel graphics. If the knob is not aligned properly, then your washer will not turn on. You should restart your washer again.
Power: You need to check that either your machine getting power or not. You can use a multimeter to check the outlet voltage. There is a possibility that your circuit breaker might have tripped.
Motor: If the washer’s motor gets heated, then it may not start. The washer will shut down to allow it cool. If the motor overheats frequently, then it’s time for an inspection to find the real cause.
2-Not Spinning or Agitating
Washing machine not spinning properly can be due to various problems:
Large Loads: If you are adding too many clothes, then the machine may become unbalanced. In this case, it will not spin properly. The problem may also occur when you have not distributed the clothes properly.
Switches and Settings: A lid switch is present inside the cabinet near the door frame. It is a safety precaution and to prevent hands from entering a spinning washer basket. A faulty switch will stop the washer from running. You might need to replace the switch.
Belts: The washing machine is having a number of belts. They may break or become damaged. If you see any sign of wear on your belt, then you should replace it with the new one. You should also check either your pulley is sized or not.
Motor: Motor is responsible for spinning and agitating the basket. The action is done due to the use of a clutch. If there is an issue, then your washer will not work. In this case, it is better to call professionals for help. You can contact Cape Cod Appliance Services for the instant service regarding washing machine repair Cape Cod. The trained technicians will use the right tools and techniques to resolve all the issues of your washing machine.
3-No Dispensing of Detergent
If you are having an automatic detergent dispenser, then there can be two causes:
- You need to clean the washing machine automatic detergent dispenser. You should clean it once a month with warm distilled white vinegar.
- Use the right products. If your washer is designed for liquid bleach, then using powder bleach will clog the dispenser and line. Check the owner’s manual to know about the right product.
4-Shaking and Moving Problem
This problem arises due to the following reasons:
- If your washer is placed on an uneven floor, then it will shake and jump around. You can place your washer on a piece of 3/4″ plywood to resolve the issue. It is important to ensure that your washing machine level is correct.
- Improper positioning of feet. You need to adjust each leg at the correct height and tighten the lock to prevent it from moving.
- Adding too much load can also cause shaking and moving problems. Add less clothes and you should read the owner’s manual for the load recommendations.
Draining problem can be due to the following reasons:
- Foreign Objects: Sometimes items like socks, coins, and pens get stuck between the basket and tub or become lodged in a pump. Due to this, draining problem happen. To resolve it, you have to open the cabinet to look for obstructions properly.
- Detergent: Too much usage of detergent will prevent the washer to drain properly.
- Drain Hose: Clogged washing machine drain hose is also another reason behind the draining problem. You should remove the hose and check it for clogs. To flush any blockage, you can use a garden hose.
- Drain Pump: Your drain pump might be jammed. You have to drain your tub, then disconnect, and check your hoses for foreign objects. Do check your pump inlets. For this, you should remove your pump from the washer to see it properly.
Leaking problem creates a mess. The reasons can be:
- Water-Inlet Valve: Leaking water inlet valve washing machine is one of the main reasons behind the leakage issue. There is a chance of rust or mineral deposit within the valve or it might be faulty so it’s time to replace it.
- Door Seal (Front Load): Front-load washer frequently leak around the door seal. This is a common area where debris build-up. You should carefully clean the seal to avoid this problem.
- Tub: If the tub is causing the leak, then options are very limited. You can try sealing the leak using epoxy. Otherwise, you have to buy a new washer.
- Tub Seal: The main tub seal is located at the point where the outer tub connects to the transmission. If this is a problem, then you should contact professionals.
- Drain Hose: Washer leaking during the spin cycle may be due to drain hose. You should check for any clogs, cracks or damages, and ensure that connections on hoses are secure.
Some of the noises that you might hear are:
Clicking: You will hear the sound of clicking if there is something lodged in your washer drain. You should check your drain and remove the foreign object.
Gurgling: You will hear this sound when something is obstructing the drain line but not fully clogging the hose. You simply need to remove the blockage.
Buzzing or Humming: If any foreign object has lodged, then you will hear the sound of buzzing or humming. You can remove it and if the pump has serious damage, then you should replace it.
Your washer may develop a musty or mildew smell. To avoid it, you should do the following:
- You should use hot water for washing to remove mold in a washing machine and also let your washer dry completely.
- You should use a proper amount of detergent.
- You should clean you drain pump filter once a month.
9-Washer Not Finishing Cycle
If your washer continues running even after the cycle has finished, then this mean timer is defective. You should remove the control panel and check timer for scorching or corrosion. You can fix this problem by replacing your timer.
Hope now you have got your answer to the question of how to fix a washing machine? These were some of the problems that might occur in your washing machine and their solutions. If you are not able to resolve them on your own, then you should contact a professional company like Cape Cod Appliance Service for instant repair. The expert technicians will inspect your appliances to identify the root cause and fix it.
For same day appliance repair service, you can call us at (508) 888-2400.